Friday, July 22, 2011

How To Write the Perfect Blog

There's a statement floating around that says blogging is dead, that it reached it's heyday.


Maybe. But who has stopped blogging? Not me. And if you're reading this, well that's good news!

I give this information not because I write the perfect blog, but because I've read them. I've also read the not-so-perfect ones!


First and foremost ( I feel so pompous-don't be pompous) The first thing your readers should see is a picture. After all, we LOVE pictures, don't we? There are several sites that let bloggers grab pics for free (no royalties, or copyright issues) The one I use now is stock.xchng-blog posts. The very best thing would be to use pictures you have taken yourself, but then you'd have to become a part-time photographer, and you'd lose blogging time. (don't be afraid to edit unimportant sentences) A blog without a picture is boring. And with most posting sites the picture shows up along with a tag-line from your post. It's impressive. 


Next, I recommend starting with an attention grabbing sentence. I deplore blogs that start out something like this,"Well, I was taking a drive the other day..." I feel like I'm sitting on your porch and the story is going to be a bit too long for my liking. 


And speaking of length, don't allow your blog to be one run-on paragraph.


Readers on the internet like small bites.


Period.

 Where do you get material for a blog? Examine your own thoughts and the comments and incidents around you, and material will come.  Listen to people, read widely. Be an interested person, and you will develop into an interesting person. If you appreciate humor, by all means, add some. If you don't, you should probably switch to writing cell phone manuals.

Correct your grammar, spelling and punctuation before posting. The only reason I offer this advice is that I am usually in too big a hurry to check, and often have embarrassed myself.  Thank goodness for the edit button!

Conclude your blog with a question if possible. Even if your readers don't comment (mine often comment on facebook instead of on my blog) it will give them a chance to turn over your ideas in their own way. You may get a good conversation started.  After all, isn't that what a good blog is? a conversation starter? 


What do you think makes a blog worth reading?












No comments: