Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Write Wing

I've been following the 2012 presidential campaign, and recently the hoopla at the Supreme Court hearings, both of which mostly consist of two sides fighting each other. Believe me, I have a political leaning, and it is conservative. But I am embarrassed by some who say they are conservative. (I have never cursed out a reporter, and I believe I can still call myself a Republican - not sure I want to.)

What I can't figure out is what kind of a tie-breaking system can we create so that the rest of us (who aren't in office) won't continually feel as if we're the children in the middle of a nasty break-up?

Don't the Republicans and Democrats realize that while they are 'duking it out' in public (on our dime) we the people are hoping to find some shred of respect as Americans? I think they may have forgotten that even the people they are fighting against politically are constituents of sorts, and need to be heard. In other words, there's  way too much talking and not a whole lot of listening out there.

http://gloryblog.blogspot.com/
 Money is too often used as a tool weapon.  How many times have you heard about how much money one candidate or another is spending on the campaign? Are we really that stupid? (Don't answer that.) Using the term SuperPAC to describe a group of funding entities for the presidential campaign reminds me of something that has gotten too big for its britches. It certainly doesn't sound like government of the people and for the people. (remember that old phrase?)And it still sounds like a nasty divorce. Shortchange the kids, and then make up for it by spending lots of money on them.

On the other hand, I am glad to be a part of a system where dialogue, not  a gun decides things. But, what would happen if politicians began really listening to each other, and extolling the good things they see in the other party, rather than bashing them personally and politically? What if they told the American people they were sorry for shaming each other in public? And not just to repair image damage, but sincerely?

If just once I heard the two main parties holding forth on the merits of the other, I would be completely unable to decide how to vote.  I might even die of shock.

Well, then that explains it.




No comments: