Monday, April 27, 2015

Compassion

What the world needs now is compassion.

Compassion is the cushion that shields our fragile hearts from the jagged edges of the reality of death, sickness and hatred.

When turning on the news, or even opening up my inbox, my first reaction is judgment, a knee jerk reaction to distance myself from catastrophe. That isn't, can't be me. But on one level it is, and it is with myself that I dole out the most compassion. I see why I mess up. I see how I could be misunderstood.

Compassion is love's cousin in workclothes. In order to give compassion I must suspend judgment and stand in the mud with someone. I'd like to be able to do this in Baltimore for both the protesters and the police. I am miles away, and yet, they are in my living room.

As with all of these situations about which I can actually do nothing, I can frame an attitude which will ripple out all the way to Baltimore. So can you.

No comments: