Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Perspective: Day 29 of the Count Your Blessings Challenge

In the years I've been a wife and mother, I've collected a lot of stories.

Some of these are good, with happy endings, and some are not so happy. I've known people who have lost children, lost mothers and fathers, made a fortune when a rich aunt died, lost everything, and just about everything in between.

The enduring sense I make of all these is that attitude counts. Period. No matter where you find yourself in life, if you can muster a positive, and grateful attitude, your story will in the end be successful. If you short-circuit the process with whining, and self-absorption, you will implode on yourself, and not only cause others pain, but create a life of loneliness.

Times are hard. Not as hard as they could be, but things are not exactly going swimmingly in most parts of the world. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic.

We owe it to ourselves and those around us to live for things that will last. To value honesty, integrity, kindness, gratitude, respect. Everyday brings a new opportunity to start over. Will we fail? Without question. But the blessing of having lived for 52 years has given me a broader perspective on the habits of the spirit that make a person attractive and successful. In other words, I've made mistakes,too. But I've also reaped the blessing of a grateful attitude. It's a gift you give yourself everyday.


No comments: