Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Charming Memoir

August 3, 2010

Picking Dandelions by Sarah Cunningham

Reading this book was almost like reading the story of my life. It was uncanny how many experiences I’ve shared with its author. Although I’m an avid reader, this is a first for me. That’s because not very many books are written from the perspective of a pastor’s daughter, who lived in the Midwest, went to Bible College, and wasn’t rebellious. I had to decide between incredulity and envy as I read line after line from someone who truly understood me.

The envy really kicked in when I got to the part about her work in New York City after 9/11, and her job as an outreach director in a prominent church. She’d gone beyond me there.

As a writer, I’d wondered if it was possible to write about a christian’s thoughts without being insipid or overly spiritualizing things. I’d read plenty of those. But Sarah writes with such wit, and matter-of-fact everydayness that I believe her when she talks about her very normal relationship with God.
Inspiring, funny, poignant. Sarah Cunningham is one of my new favorites. Let’s hope she’s got more in store for us!

No comments: