Friday, June 10, 2011

I Am Sick: Day 4 of the Count Your Blessings Challenge



Somehow, in the first grade I contracted  trench mouth, or Vincent's stomatitis, which is a gum disease named after it's prevalence in the 'trenches' of WWI. I remember extreme mouth soreness, and an extended period of staying home from school. I rinsed regularly with hydrogen peroxide. The smell or taste of it to this day brings me back to that painful time.

But, when I recovered, the world seemed a brighter, more wonderful place. Often emerging from an illness brings a new lease on life. As far back as first grade, I can remember that.

Nothing was as freeing as being well again. This turned out to be, so far, my most serious illness. The blessing of health is an ongoing one, that I hope I never take for granted. 


No comments: