Sunday, July 10, 2011

How To Be a Sparkling Conversationalist

Talking. Communicating. It's what humans do.

Ever noticed that some people are more interesting to talk to than others?

Me too.

My mother's admonition, when I was a teenager, has forever changed my way of thinking about conversing.

"Ask people questions about themselves. Then you'll never run out of things to talk about." I tried it. It worked. I found that I never had to think up things to say, but I did have to learn how to ask questions. Amazing! People rarely get offended or bored when they get to talk about their own interests, but you will soon bore someone to tears by droning on about your own life.

"If you talk to people about themselves, they'll listen for hours." - Benjamin Disraeli

Have you tried this? Does it work for you?

No comments: