Saturday, June 18, 2011

Low Points Chase High Points: Day 12 of the Count Your Blessings Challenge

In my last post I referenced a very low point in my life.

I was fifteen and had just moved away from all my friends.

It seemed as if the future was bleak. I was lonely, confused, and on top of it all, I was an awkward adolescent. That would have been enough, but my parents were going through a rough patch, too.

It seemed like it would last forever, but it didn't. I made new friends, though it did take a while; I'm an introvert. My parents got through it, too. By the time five years had passed, I was a bubbly optimist, and a young adult with a future to look forward to.

The blessing was that I learned about low points. I'd survived one, and discovered that they usually don't last, even though it seems like they will. They're usually followed by the opposite. I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't gone through it. That knowledge, only gained by experience has come in handy over the last few decades.

"This too shall pass", my father used to say. He knew it too, and I know how he knew!

No comments: