Saturday, June 25, 2011

Answered Prayer: Day 19 of the Count Your Blessings Challenge Part 3

After a year of traveling with Mr. Not-So-Intense-As-Everyone-Else, I was pretty much a goner. And now he was 21. I had not been able to stop the clock, and was still almost five years older than him.

I promised more on the atmosphere in which we found ourselves. We were surrounded by ideas about healthy relationships, things like keeping a clear conscience, mutually respecting one another, staying out of debt, and listening to the Spirit of God so He could lead you.  These were all good things, and we saw living examples of people following these principles with great success. We saw families healed and transformed when they changed their attitudes and behavior to match up with God's plan for the family. We saw people lifted out of addictions and destructive behavior. It was very powerful, and in this maelstrom of change, we had a small part. We sang, performed drama and choreography, listened to people's stories as we stayed with them in their homes, set up, and tore down, set up and tore down. You get the idea. It was all-nighters and few days off, all the way from Rhode Island to Texas. Exhausting and exhilarating. During it all, I fell in love with the truck-driver/piano player who loved chocolate chip cookies.

He proposed on his 23rd birthday.

Reader, I married him.

He has only improved with age. His love of working has supported our family and blessed countless people. His drop-everything-to-help attitude has been one of the greatest blessings of my life, if not the greatest. Twenty five years later I realize that I could not have possibly have known how valuable he was, nor could I have had the insight to see that I had enough intensity for the two of us, and could use some lightening up!  But God did. And He answered my prayer with "No, I do not want you to be single."

Thanks, God!

PS. I've added his website link in case you want to hear his beautiful piano playing.
www.jimmaris.com







No comments: